Large Files

Cassandra Lynette Ludwig cass at ophiuchi.net
Wed Jan 16 01:36:23 GMT 2002

Hi.

I have just noticed a weirdness of Samba and was wondering if anyone else
has experienced this or not... I don't want to add it to the bug list
until after I have verified that they don't already know of it.

Basically, I happen to have a bunch of large files that I want to dump
onto my server which is running Samba (2.2) and Linux (kernel 2.4.17), and
what I want to do is dump the files off my windows machine onto my linux
server.

The problem in detail is that the files are over 2Gb in size and Samba
won't write those files to the server.  I can pass the files back and
forth between my Windows 98 Machine, and my Windows ME system, but samba
seems incapable of receiving them.

However, as a weirdness of the whole situation, I can get the files onto
the linux server if I run smbclient and connect to the windows machine,
and retrieve the files that way.

I am trying to put the files into a Reiserfs parition so I know I am not
hitting a limit of the filesystem itself.

Basically the files are for video editing, and unless I can send them from
the windows machine using and open source application on my file storage
server is not going to be viable, so any help would be appreciated.

I have read a lot of documentation on this, and I still cannot understand
why this would not be working, unless there is some filesize limit imposed
by the samba daemon.

Regards,
	Cassandra