[Samba] changing macintosh type and creator codes

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 14 14:44:02 GMT 2002

Right, Samba/Windows doesn't have any concept of type/creator codes,
they just embed that information in the name as an extension and hope
everything works out OK. Different Mac<->other-OS connectivity tools use
different methods to preserve that information, often the resource fork
and extended attributes are placed in a subdirectory. Since Samba and
the Windows clients are blissfully ignorant of this extended
information, copying files to/from Windows clients will essentially
throw this information away. It may still be on the drive, but any
intelligent system will realize that the two aren't even close to the
same age and discard the extended information.

Two possible solutions come to mind. One is to make the Macs smarter
about handling filename extensions. I'm not familiar with Dave (if
that's what you're using), but I'd assume that it either has the ability
to do the mapping or to use the system-wide mappings that are provided
as defaults when mounting PC disks. The other is to make the server
smarter by using Netatalk or one of the other AppleShare server packages
for UNIX. They generally provide some way to map extensions to a default
type/creator when one isn't available through the preserved metadata.

The second is what I use on my home network. I have a few directories on
my Linux PC exported through both Samba and Netatalk, and mount them on
whichever machine I happen to be using (Windows via SMB or Mac OS 9 via
AppleShare-IP). I suppose file locking could be an issue in a larger
environment, though.

--
That feeling just came over me.
                -- Albert DeSalvo, the "Boston Strangler"