[Samba] changing macintosh type and creator codes

Hactar eben at gate.net
Thu Feb 14 13:25:04 GMT 2002

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 cneely at cybermemphis.com wrote:

> Anytime a PC on our network copies a file to our server and a
> macintosh client goes to view that file, the type and creator codes
> are incorrect.

I think I know what the problem is, but I don't know how to fix it.  Macs
keep metadata associated with a file -- its type, creator, creation date.
etc.  The type and creator info are the most important for most uses, as
they determine the icon attached to a file / what is run when you
double-click on it.  Some file sharing systems have a mapping from
extension -> type/creator.

A partial solution is something on the Mac that assigns type/creator info
based on a file's name.

> I can copy a file to the server from a Mac then copy the file from the
> server to a windows machine and back again and the type and creator
> codes will be changed.

Maybe the metadata file is not copied back?  Dunno.  Make sure you're not
preventing some files (matbe dotfiles?) from being copied.

--
-eben         eQbWeEnR at gTaYtUeI.nOePt         home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

                    Logic is a systematic method of coming to
                      the wrong conclusion with confidence.