Help...Help....WInbind Enum User Problem in Samba 2.2.2

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Oct 31 18:51:07 GMT 2001

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, ncc22, Gecis (CAP, GECIS) wrote:

> Hi!
> I am facing a very strainge problem. I am not able to do getent passwd and getent group from nt domain. Wbinfo -u and -g options are working fine. But getent is not returning
> domain users and groups.I tried smbclient -L hostname option also its giving me errror ERRsrv badpw. I don't know how to solve this problem. Please Please help me to solve this
> problem. smb.conf , enum user and group optins is yes.
>
> I am not able to trace the problem.....

Make sure:

a) you have joind the domain corrently.
        wbinfo -t  should help there
b) you have something like:
   winbind cache time = 10
   winbind enum users = yes
   winbind enum groups = yes
   template shell = /bin/bash
   template homedir = /home/%D/%U
   winbind uid = 10000-20000
   winbind gid = 10000-20000
  in smb.conf
c) you have tha appropriate domain setting in smb.conf
d) your winbindd is running
e) you have something like:
    passwd:     files winbind
    group:      files winbind
   in /etc/nsswitch.conf
e) /lib/libnss_winbind.so exists
g) /lib/libnss_winbind.so.2 is a symlink to /lib/libnss_winbind.so

Assuming all that is correct you definatly should be able to see
domain users with:  wbinfo -u
domain groups with:  wbinfo -g

you should be able to "finger DOMAIN\\User" and get info.

If you are still having problems the start a new thread and detail exactly
what is and isn't working.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein