(Roving Profiles) Re: Win98 login bypass

Paul Simons paul.simons at alstom.esca.com
Wed Feb 7 17:02:21 GMT 2001

Sigh.  Soon I will have Email up at home, where my documentation is.  Hopefully,
the samba gods are watching and will not let me make a complete fool of myself.
If you are logging into the domain (Client for Microsoft networks, account(?)
tab, Log onto Domain selected), then you get roving profiles as well as off-box
validation.  By default, the profile gets stored in the user's home directory on
the Samba server.  I don't use KDE (though I probably should, I'm getting
spoiled by Ximian Gnome), but if it supports Microsoft desktop stuff, there you
go.  The man pages (Hummm, I'm thinking samba.conf?) suggest several alternative
directory strategies in which to store the profile.  The one I settled on was a
".profile" under the home directory.  As long as KDE doesn't get a look directly
at the profile, you shouldn't have this problem.