problem...

Jose J Dominguez Veiga jjdominguez at cisgalicia.org
Fri Dec 28 02:27:03 GMT 2001

Good Morning and Happy New Year to Everyone...

My first problem is that my English is not very good, but my actual problem is that I can't see any windows machine from my linux box. Of course, I can see no Linux boxes from windows.

I've been following the troubleshoot guide and the diagnosis.txt file and I can do ping to all the machines on the network, but when I try doing "nmblookup "*" " I only get response from other Linux machines running Samba. No NT machines responses my request.
The NT network works well on its own. I only have a subnet, a wins server and a dns server, and 3 domains. I use the encrypt password = yes and other options I´ve read in the samba documentation, but i can't join no domains although I have a machine account for my linux box in them. I've also try with a PDC for a new domain but I can't see the linux PDC in the windows network neighbourhood. I have a Called Name Not Present Error. I've read something about that error searching for it on Internet but I don't know what I have to do.

Now I have a RH 7.2 with the latest samba compiled, but I have had the same problems with de RPM samba. I also have two Debians with the 2.2.2 compiled and the same problem.
Any ideas about my problem?
I really don't know if the problem is in the Samba side or in the NT side. I'm new to both.