Samba 2.2.0 disk full bug?

Stefan Markowitz s.markowitz at gmx.de
Sat Apr 21 17:00:06 GMT 2001

Hi, Samba-team,

I´m just checking out Samba 2.2.0. Great work!
I´m using Samba since version 2.05a as a PDC in a network with
20 clients. I never had any problems (besides configuration :-)).
Now I´m tormenting my 2.2.0 installation (on my test-environment,
2 clients).
There seems to be a bug when copying a file, which is larger than
the free space on the harddisk, onto the server.
Server: SuSE Linux 7.1, Kernel 2.4.0, Samba 2.2.0, Reiserfs, LFS
Client: NT4.0 SP4
I copied the file via NT-explorer. After the disk on the server was full,
an error message occured, saying no space left on device. So far
so good. But from now on, the smbd process occupied constantly
more than 99% cpu states.
I can´t delete that file (from client side). I tried both NT-explorer and
command shell, no way.
Now I deleted the file on the server, smbd still occupies more than
99% cpu states. The disk is still full, the space which was occupied
by the file does not get released.
When I shut down smbd, the space was immediately released, and
after restarting it, all was ok.
I´m not sure whether this problem is related only to the 2.2.0 version.
But it seems to be a serious bug.
I hope that I don´t have missed to read some part of the documentation
which deals with that problem.
However, keep up the good work.

Best regards,
Stefan Markowitz