Windows System Policies

Bolek Vrany vrany at pascal.fjfi.cvut.cz
Tue Apr 3 16:18:34 GMT 2001

> I was wondering if any one could help me. I'm
> currently installing a samba server v 2.0.7 in a high
> school. I'm planning on using system policies to
> control system access and also the desktop. Everything
> is working well, except that samba won't translate
> Unix user groups into NT user groups. No matter what
> user logs in, from what ever group, Windows believes
> them to be apart of the user group "USER". Any ideas?
> Thanks,

We have the same problem. We used Win98 and Policy Editor to set up
system policies on the desktop and the group policies didn't work. Since
most of the users belong to the same group, we created an extra entry in
the policies for every user that belongs to other groups and should not
have the default rights (cca 10 users at all). It works fine. I know
this is a workaround but I have not even tried to solve it in a
different way.

                           Ing. Boleslav Vrany
                           Stanice techniku DDM hl. m. Prahy
                           Pod Juliskou 2a