Executing arbitrary commands, preexec, etc

austin.plunkett at moneyextra.com austin.plunkett at moneyextra.com
Tue Apr 3 15:50:45 GMT 2001

Hi there.

First, I'm not subscribed to the list, so if anyone actually replies to
this, please CC me. Thanks.

I have a problem which I feel sure can be solved with cunning use of
Samba, CVS, and the like. Basically, I need a shared document repository
with some sort of version control or sign-off. It has to be accessible
to both Windows and *NIX users.

Currently we have a home-grown system. It's web-based, and allows people
to upload and download documents through our intranet. While this
basically suffices, it's not "intuitive" enough for desktop users who
are accustomed to tree-based navigation through file-systems. Also it's
not performing any version control (as yet).

After discovering "preexec" and its cousins, it occured to me that a
Samba-shared directory hierarchy containing (Word) documents might
suffice, if I can hook Samba into a cunning enough process. I envisage a
system which can email people when documents have changed, sync a shared
directory with CVS and warn people of conflicts by email... basically
use any (supported) operating system as the GUI to a CVS-controlled
"virtual folder" accessible under Samba.

Has anyone done this, or similar? Does it sound completely insane? Are
preexec et al powerful enough to do this? Perhaps a way of tackling this
is to have preexec perform some sort of locking function, so only one
person at a time can have any particular file open. However, preexec
only kicks in at log-on and log-off, from what I can tell. Is there a
more powerful similar command, which is executed for every read or
write, for example?

I appreciate this is a lengthy email and more than a little vague.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts/comments.

Austin
--
Austin Plunkett - Technical Architect <http://www.moneyextra.com>

Moneyextra Limited is an independent intermediary regulated by the Personal
Investment Authority. The PIA does not regulate mortgages, current or
deposit accounts, credit cards, loans or general and medical insurance.
Moneyextra Limited, One Temple Back East, Temple Quay, Bristol BS1 6DX