newbie help with smbclient

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Fri Oct 27 19:14:22 GMT 2000

Willis,

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:09:09 -0400, Willis Alexander Jr. wrote:

>I am having some trouble getting samba
>to work. Any help and/or pointers would
>be helpful. When I type:
>
>% smbclient -L localhost
>I get:
>
> Sharename      Type      Comment
>        ---------      ----      -------
>        public         Disk      Public Stuff
>        test           Disk      first test for samba
>        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server on Caldera
>OpenLinux)
>        ps1            Printer
>
>        Server               Comment
>        ---------            -------
>
>        Workgroup            Master
>        ---------            -------
>
>There is no Server, Comment, Workgroup or Master.
>Where are these configured? In my smb.conf there is
>no mention of these items. Is there another file that
>I need to edit? Attached please find my smb.conf.

This smb.conf you posted is not the one Samba uses: smbclient reports
a share named "test", which is not in your smb.conf. Instead in your
smb.conf is a share named "data" which is not reported by smbclient.

You can start smbd and nmbd with the option "-s /path/to/smb.conf" or
investigate which smb.conf is used by trying something like

    strings smbd | grep smb.sonf

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.