Incorrect Free Disk space reported in Windows Explorer?

Clarence Brown clabrown at granitepost.com
Fri Feb 4 05:32:37 GMT 2000

OK, I've got samba mostly working with a simple test smb.conf. I can access
it from Win98. In Windows File Manager I right-clicked the samba drive,
right now it points to the root, and it reports a size of 50 Meg about 1/2
used. This appears to be the size of the / file system.

However the free disk space reported by Windows Explorer is always reported
as 21Meg and does not change, even when viewing subdirectories like /usr or
/var that should have much more room available.

bash-2.03$ df
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0s1a     49583    22403    23214    49%    /
/dev/wd0s1f   1779439   746456   890628    46%    /usr
/dev/wd0s1e     19815     5356    12874    29%    /var
procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc

It seems like the free disk space should be correctly reported depending on
what you are viewing. This is probably Windows Explorer's "fault", but
should SAMBA do something differently to correct for it?

Cla.