Stuck on getting SAMBA working on my little LAN.

Andrew Bruno abruno at zeta.org.au
Sat Dec 30 02:59:34 GMT 2000

Hi,

I am a new person to this mailing list and hope that we can all help each
other with the things we have learnt.

So here is my Setup first:

                   Amiga             PC
*TCP stack          Genesis           W98*
*Machine name       Amiga             586*
*IP                 192.168.0.1       192.168.0.3*
*Domain name        MARY              MARY*
**

I have Samba 2.0.7 and downloaded it from the Samba home page.

The two machines can "see" each other and either can PING the other.  In
both cases the HUB's LED's for the respective machine blink together.

Neither is actings as a gateway onto the internet.   That is not my need at
this time.

As I have FTP server software on the Amiga, I have tested that the 586 can
FTP to the Amiga and get files also.

I have the PC's C drive shared as PC in the share setting with full access.

I open the network icon on the PC and see the two machines.  However if I
double click the Amiga's entry I get a requestor popping up:

*\\amiga\ipc$  Password:*
**
 every time.

No matter what I enter:  Wrong password.

I hear the Amiga's drives doing something and although I have set the nmdb
program (or was it smdb?) debug level to 9 (which is stated to be a full on
debug of everything and only to be used for development) there is nowhere
where it shows me the username or password sent to the Amiga.

On the other side, getting the Amiga to see the PC drives, this is what I
have found by editing the file in samba: which is a mount list:

*Host 586:192.168.0.3 cannot be contacted!*
*Can't get IP address from 586:192.168.0.3  (is tcp running?)!*
**

This is the mount file as that gets the above error:

*Handler     = L:SMB-Handler*
*Stacksize   = 40000*
*Priority    = 5*
*GlobVec     = -1*
*Mount       = 1*
*Startup     = "C=\\586:192.168.0.3\PC MH=AMIGA:192.168.0.1 W=MARY U=pcguest
P=''"*
**

I was advised to append the IP numbers to the devices to help keep things
clear.

Removing the IP numbers, I get a different responce.  That being:

a long pause and then

*Host 586 cannot be contacted*
**
Now I have just noticed that it has the word HOST in there but I am not sure
if that is important or not, so I am not going to worry about that.  I am
hoping that one of you will help me instead.

If I reverse the idea and ONLY use the IP addresses, it really gets upset.
So I suspect that that approach doesn't work.

Now, down to some settings on the PC:

I do have the netbios and tcp programs and they are set correctly - I have
been walked through it a few times.

I have entered the IP number in the right places and have things set for
file/printer sharing.

I have it set to m$ networking and no WNS settings or gateway.

When I first turn on the PC I get a login requestor:

Name: <filled in>

Passowrd: /waiting for me to enter a password/

Domain: MARY

I just press enter and the machine goes off "looking" for something.  It
finally comes back with something like:

I can't verify your password, some parts of the network may not be
accessible.  Or words to that end.

Can someone please tell me what is going on?

It would be nice to get it working but reading the manuals for the password
(smbpasswd.8.html included in the archive) it says to do commands that are
NOT supported by the smbpasswd supplied so it kind of makes it difficult to
do what is said.

I kind of worked around it by not having that switch included, but it didn't
seem to do anything anyway.

There is also mention of a lmhosts file.

I tried to make one of those - plain text, but it didn't seem to have any
effect either.

So if anyone out there has an Amiga networked to a PeeCee (W98) via an
ethernet card, could you please help me?

People have sent me their smb.config files but they have not helped my
getting anything working.

Cya!
--
How to irritate a Klingon -- put a Tribble in his shorts

Andrew Bruno
abruno at zeta.org.au