"Sambing"

Claudio Barizon - Projeto de Producao Cbarizon at oglobo.com.br
Fri Dec 29 21:16:48 GMT 2000

Dear Sirs,

My name is Cláudio Barizon and I work for a newspaper company in Rio de
Janeiro - Brasil - called "O Globo". I would like to be writting about good
things, but, unfortunantelly, we are having a little problem on enabling the
Samba's resources to the Windows users. So, if you can help us, we woul be
very thankful.

We have an OPI system (Open Prepress Interface), that performs image
administration on generation newspaper pages to be printed (it changes high
resolution images for low ones and vice-versa, depending on the appropriate
time, to optimize the net working). Just this system is installed over Unix
in Sun platform (Solaris - Machine Sun E3000). All our users work on Windows
workstations and, to access the OPI resources, they use the graphic
interface enabled by Samba. In this environment, everything works very well
and all configured resources (smb.conf) are correct presented.

Although, we are rebuilding the back-up/contingency environment of this
system (unfortunantely, we are a new team in this environment and, to make
our situation worst, there is no documentation) and we identify a problem
with Samba's resources. The platform is almost the same as the previous one:
Solaris, but running over a Sun Ultra 2. The environment, however, is
different: this machine runs another production system (Publishing) and it
works as an OPI back-up machine, when necessary.

We verified that some configurated resources (smb.conf) are not being
displayed in Windows interface. For instance: we have 188 configured
resources in the file, but just the firsts 92 resources are presented. We
tried to find out any parameter file, which limited the amount of resources
or bytes, but we didn't have success.

In both machines the Samba's versions are different: in the first one
(production) the version is 1.8.0; in the second on (back-up) the version is
1.9.15. Unfortunantely, we can NOT upgrade the versions (besides, where the
interface is not working well is where the versions is more actual), because
the Samba's resources, in the back-up machine, are used by the OPI (when
it's on air) and also by the Publishing System (which is running and has
some particularities).

So, if you can help us, it would be very very nice!

Sorry about my bad english and for writing you so long letter.

Thank you very much and happy new year for everybody!!!

Best regards,

Cláudio Barizon