configuration problem

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Sun Dec 10 12:16:52 GMT 2000

Ron,

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 09:55:20 -0500, Ron Woodall wrote:

>	I've gone to us1.samba.org/samba/docs/DIAGNOSIS.htm and run all
>of the tests. My installation appears to pass all of them except for
>this one:
>		nmblookup -B ABNER

You will never see something useful coming out of this one.

-B means "a broadcast address follows". From the man page for
nmblookup you can see there has to follow another name: the name you
are looking for. If nmblookup does not come up with an usage
explanation, its argument evaluation algorithm is simply broken.

Well, what you told nmblookup is to look for nothing at the broadcast
address ABNER (translated to an IP address). Try

    nmblookup -B ABNER '*'

>	The above appears to manifest itself in slow transfer speeds
>when transfering files to the Linux box from the Windows box when the
>command is given on the Linux box.

How do you do that? Which command?

nmblookup is only for name resolution. If you can transfer _anything_,
all needed names are already resolved, so I guess there is something
else in your way.

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.