Problem with NT/2000 shares greater than 12 characters long

David Evans-Roberts daveer at hrwallingford.co.uk
Thu Dec 7 08:58:50 GMT 2000

My understanding is that this is a limitation of samba.  There is the odd
question about names longer than 12 characters in the searchable samba
archive at marc.theaimsgroup.com, but quickly looking through the last
year's messages I could not find any definitive answer as to why this should
be or any work around.  Hopefully someone with an in depth knowledge of the
code can give an answer.

David Evans-Roberts
daveer at hrwallingford.co.uk
Systems Administrator
HR Wallingford

> Message: 3
> Subject: Problem with NT/2000 shares greater than 12 characters long
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> From: Brian.Raccuglia at tais.com
> Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 13:07:35 -0800
>
> I have been having a problem seeing NT/2000 shares using
> smbclient on Samba
> version 2.0.7 when the share names are greater than 12
> characters.  I can
> see shares on these systems if the share name is 12
> characters or less but
> if I create a share that is more than 12 characters then the
> share is not
> visible at all through smbclient.  Is there a configuration setting in
> Samba that controls this or is there a hard requirement that
> samba can only
> access ("see") shares that are 12 characters or less?  I have
> not found a
> configuration variable that seems to control this and I have
> not found any
> documentation on this issue.  Any information would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian Raccuglia
>
> Toshiba America Information Systems

HR Wallingford  uses  Faxes and  Emails for  confidential and
legally  privileged  business communications.  They do not of
themselves  create legal  commitments.  Disclosure to parties
other than addressees  requires our specific consent.  We are
not  liable for  unauthorised  disclosures nor  reliance upon
them.  If you  have  received  this  message  in error please
advise   us  immediately  and  destroy   all  copies  of  it.