Multi-homed interface name resolution

Robert Franklin R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
Wed Nov 18 18:19:00 GMT 1998

Hi,

(I think I posted this a few weeks ago, but I haven't found the solution
and had no replies.)

I have a multi-homed server, one interface of which is on the same subnet
as the majority of clients and the other is on a different one (but still
reachable, through a router).

When connecting to the server, it seems to be chance which one of these
interfaces I get.

I believe DNS servers (e.g. BIND) have an address sorting system which
gives out an address on the same subnet as the client (where possible) as
the primary (first) address.  Does nmbd not do this (I'm using WINS).

I've tried forcing the address on the clients using an LMHOSTS file like:

  CARROT      134.225.241.8        #pre

But that appears not to be working (although I'd prefer not to do that
anyway).

Any suggestions?  (I'm using Samba 1.9.18p10.)

  - Bob

  I do mail, web, news, DNS and C++... but I don't understand any of it...
  Bob "Mince" Franklin ~{], CNE ;), MCSE ;)           Tel. (0118) 931 8432
  Systems and Communications                          Fax. (0118) 975 3094
  Computer Services Centre                      R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
  University of Reading, U.K.          http://www.reading.ac.uk/~suq96rcf/