Win95 profiles on server (BUG#616)

Louis Mandelstam lma at sacc.org.za
Wed Oct 8 15:37:17 GMT 1997

[hey, why has this been allocated a bug number - bug-tracking automation
interfering with your email to a non-bug-related thread? <G>]

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> That's right, there is no race condition. The mount of the share
> can't complete till the preexec script has finished, which forces
> the client to wait.

How does this work?  What is Win95 waiting for before it continues?  (I
ask without checking the source et al - you know it by heart surely!)

> [%U]
> 	path = %H
> 	max connections = 1
> 	... other options ...
>

> The [%U] gets substituted with their user name. It would mean that you
> automatically create a new share name for each user and these should
> have independent connection limits.

Pretty damn cute, though if I wanted to do this I'd already be doing
using [homes] as you note - I really liked the convenience of always
having a fixed sharename for the user directory, since it allows me to
hard code paths for applications.  If I can't come up with a way to do
what I want, I expect I'll go back and user a [%U] share, and have the
preexec script generate a .REG file which the logon script imports - with
all the paths pointing to the correct share.

Is there any way I could make a preexec script that could deny the
connection?  Probably too late at that stage?   How about if a netlogon
preexec stopped the login process from progressing any further?

Any ideas?

Regards

Louis Mandelstam              Tel +27 83 227-0712   Symphony  /|\   /|\
Linux systems integration     http://sr.co.za       Research {   } {   }
Johannesburg, South Africa    mailto:louis at sr.co.za (Pty)Ltd {___} {___}