File ownership problems...Solaris 2.5.1 and Samba 1.9.17alpha5

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at cb1.com
Mon Aug 25 16:50:28 GMT 1997

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Phillip Dale wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> After having upgraded to 1.9.17alpha5 I've come across a strange problem
> which I hadn't seen earlier...
>
> smbstatus claims I have 60 (or so connections)  although I only have about
> 35 smbd processes.
>
> Most of my smbd processes are owned by root and NOT the user.

yes, i've been talking to the others in the samba team about this (i'm an
nmbd person, not an smbd person, and am therefore struggling in my
attempts to stare at server.c, reply.c etc :-) - this is normal behaviour:
smbd, during idle time, setuids() back to root.

>  The problem
> we are experiencing now is that files created directly from a prompt or
> Notepad (i think it was), works well.  When a program, such as Word or
> Eudora create files, they are owned by root (!?) !!!

you're the second person to report this, on the digest, with 1.9.17alpha5.

> Any ideas?  As not to clutter this maillist, I will not attach my smb.conf,
> but will send it upon request.

hi there,  please send your smb.conf file to the list: all of it, but
with ip addresses or other confidential information changed to blanks.

thank you!

luke