Printing and smbd -i

simo idra at samba.org
Thu Jun 30 08:16:11 MDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 15:59 +0200, Kai Blin wrote:
> > The 'problem' here is that the background queue process is not started
> > when smbd is run in interactive mode, which would make printing
> > unavailable when smbd is run in that mode.
>
> Isn't smbd -i shutting down after serving one request anyway? What's the
> point of having printing around for that case?

In case you want to debug something while doing printing requests ?
If people is ok not having the printing code around at all I have no
problem simply suppressing all with -i

> Or are you proposing to make smbd -i behave like samba -i? Then I'd
> strongly vote for a mode of operation where you can also use -M single.
> I'd appreciate having single-process mode on embedded systems in any
> case. :)

It would be nice, but we are no quite there with the smbd code, so this
is not something we can expect in the short term.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce