Questions re Symbol versioning

David Collier-Brown davecb at sun.com
Thu May 22 19:47:29 GMT 2008

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:

>>> It doesn't help everywhere, but it doesn't harm where it's supported.
>>> So far the build-farm looks ok.
>

> Gerald (Jerry) Carter schrieb:
>
>> But it doesn't help us with versioning on platforms that
>> don't use GNU ld right?  So we have to go through all the hoops
>> of maintaining backwards compatibility (compatible DSO files).
>> So what I'm missing is that this seems to make those platforms
>> the corner cases which means they are guaranteed to break.
>> My have to support two solutions at all ?
>

> A logical next question is how does it fail when the linker
> doesn't honor the versioning? Doe you get
> - the first one found in the file?
> - the last one?
> - both if it's called more than once?
>
> Another might be, can you implement it with, for example,
> name mangling for linkers which don't support it?

  D'oh!  I forgot the most basic question: what are the interfaces
you're planning to change?  Several forms of mutation can be
done cleanly without signature changes...

--dave (getting stupid in his old age) c-b

--
David Collier-Brown            | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto      | some people and astonish the rest