Questions re Symbol versioning

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Thu May 22 16:31:56 GMT 2008

Gerald (Jerry) Carter schrieb:
> But it doesn't help us with versioning on platforms that
> don't use GNU ld right?  So we have to go through all the hoops
> of maintaining backwards compatibility (compatible DSO files).
> So what I'm missing is that this seems to make those platforms
> the corner cases which means they are guaranteed to break.
> My have to support two solutions at all ?

A logical next question is how does it fail when the linker
doesn't honor the versioning? Doe you get
- the first one found in the file?
- the last one?
- both if it's called more than once?

Another might be, can you implement it with, for example,
name mangling for linkers which don't support it?

--dave
(416) 223-5943