Samba 4 User Accounts and ZFS

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri May 16 01:02:36 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 13:54 -0700, zaphod at fsklaw.com wrote:
> Two quick questions:
>
> When I try to add a Domain User account to a domain joined XP box, Windows
> burps out that the trust relationship between the server and
> workstation...well ok, earlier XP burped out the trust stuff.
>
> Now I can't browse the directory to add a user, but can add a user by
> providing user name and domain.  When i click browse I get:
>
> "The program cannot open the required dialog box because no locations can
> be found."
>
> Any clues?

I'll need some more details.  Perhaps you can describe a bit more
exactly what programs you are running and how you are using them, along
with a network trace?

> Second:
>
> I've got a zfs partition.  When I offer it as a samba share, I get:
>
> WinXP:  The mapped network drive could not be created because the
> following error has occured:  Incorrect function.
>
> smbd.log:
> make_connection: NTVFS make connection failed!
> [Thu May 15 13:14:13 2008 PDT, 0
> smb_server/smb/service.c:104:make_connection_scfg()]
> make_connection: NTVFS make connection failed!
> [Thu May 15 13:17:11 2008 PDT, 0
> smb_server/smb/service.c:104:make_connection_scfg()]
> make_connection: NTVFS make connection failed!
>
> I'm guessing zfs is not supported by NTVFS?

As long as it is presented as a POSIX file system, it should be
supported fine.  Break into it with gdb and find out why the connection
'fails'.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.