Samba4

zaphod at fsklaw.com zaphod at fsklaw.com
Tue May 13 19:58:01 GMT 2008

My test server is:

FreeBSD testbox.fsklaw.com 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #1:

smb.conf:

[globals]
        netbios name    = testbox
        workgroup       = FSKLAW
        realm           = FSKLAW.COM
        server role     = domain controller
        ntvfs handler   = posix

[netlogon]
        path = /home
        read only = no

[open]
        path = /home/test
        read only = no

I can ping by host name.  I can map a share.

However, WinXP gets an error saying can't find domain.  Specifically:
T h e   f o l l o w i n g   e r r o r   o c c u r r e d   w h e n   D N S
 w a s   q u e r i e d   f o r   t h e   s e r v i c e   l o c a t i o n
( S R V )   r e s o u r c e   r e c o r d   u s e d   t o   l o c a t e
a   d o m a i n   c o n t r o l l e r   f o r   d o m a i n   f s k l a w
. c o m :

 T h e   e r r o r   w a s :   " D N S   n a m e   d o e s   n o t   e x i
s t . "

 ( e r r o r   c o d e   0 x 0 0 0 0 2 3 2 B   R C O D E _ N A M E _ E R R
O R )

 T h e   q u e r y   w a s   f o r   t h e   S R V   r e c o r d   f o r
_ l d a p . _ t c p . d c . _ m s d c s . f s k l a w . c o m

 C o m m o n   c a u s e s   o f   t h i s   e r r o r   i n c l u d e   t
h e   f o l l o w i n g :

 -   T h e   D N S   S R V   r e c o r d   i s   n o t   r e g i s t e r e
d   i n   D N S .

 -   O n e   o r   m o r e   o f   t h e   f o l l o w i n g   z o n e s
d o   n o t   i n c l u d e   d e l e g a t i o n   t o   i t s   c h i l
d   z o n e :

 f s k l a w . c o m

 c o m

 .   ( t h e   r o o t   z o n e )

 F o r   i n f o r m a t i o n   a b o u t   c o r r e c t i n g   t h i s
  p r o b l e m ,   c l i c k   H e l p .

I'm also curious, what's running the name service.  I see nothing in
netstat listening on port 53.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers,