samba configuration via rpc - beyond registry shares

Chetan S cshring at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 11:14:54 GMT 2007

Hi All,

I was looking towards extending the work by Volker on registry shares
(rpc) a bit further by allowing Samba configuration via rpc.
It is perfectly possible to link the registry rpc api to samba
internal calls to change the parameters.

However there is a problem here - how / should the changes be written
back to smb.conf. If not then how should the conflict be resolved ?

Volker put it a bit more nicely :
"Here we have to decide which setting we use in case of a conflict:
The smb.conf one or the registry one."

I need inputs / suggestions on this one.

thanks and regards,
Chetan S