Can't get dfs to work.

Adrie Kooijman a.kooijman at io.tudelft.nl
Wed May 30 09:51:38 GMT 2001

Hi all,

I am trying to get dfs working on an sgi irix box, but somehow
it refuses to cooperate.

Here's what I did:

part of smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = ica
        netbios aliases = icadfs
        host msdfs = yes

[dfs]
        comment = Experimental dfs share
        path = /export/dfsroot
        msdfs root = yes
        guest ok = no
        browsable = yes

ls -l on /export/dfsroot on the server:

lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     sys           20 May 28 13:12 pblc ->
msdfs:system1\public
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     sys           18 May 28 13:21 tst ->
msdfs:system1\test

I see both pblc and tst as folder in the share \\system1\dfs, but
if I try to open
the folder NT reports: \\system1\pblc is not accessible, This
folder was moved or
removed.

If I open the netbios alias ( \\icadfs\dfs\pblc ) it opens as an
empty directory.

The server is sgi, irix 6.2
the client(s) are NT  4.0 sp6

What do I do wrong, and if not, what is wrong ?

--
Adrie Kooijman