Building and linking shared libaries for multiple different versions of UNIX

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Wed May 16 16:08:38 GMT 2001

At 09:54 AM 5/16/01 -0500, samba-technical at thewrittenword.com wrote:
>Will you:
>  1. chmod the shared library to +x on HP-UX?

Well, I will ignore HP-UX for a while ...

>  2. Make the shared library extension on HP-UX 'sl' rather than 'so'?
>  3. Is there just one shared library? If more than one, are they
>     dependent on each other? If so, do you plan on hard-coding the
>     runtime path of the installation library directory in the
>     shared libraries?

ATM, just one shared library

>  4. Are you linking against any 3rd-party libraries (OpenSSL, KRB,
>     etc.)? If so, do you plan to add runtime paths to each of
>     these to your library (in which case -rpath won't work
>     everywhere).

Not at the moment.

>  5. On AIX, you need to run '/bin/nm ...' to create a list of
>     the exported symbols and then pass the file created as output
>     to ld before generating the shared library.

OK, thanks ...

>  6. Will you allow creating static *and* shared libraries at the
>     same time? If you do, then handling shared libraries on AIX
>     becomes more interesting.

Yes, I want to support static and shared ... I guess AIX is low on my list
of priorities, unless IBM wants it raised :-)

>  7. How do you plan on versioning the library?

Ummm, good question ... I was planning on calling the current interface
V1.0, and any changes to the interface (like the byte-range locking
addition I discussed with Andrew) would require that I bump the version
number ...

Yes, I was planning on $(CC) ... -Wl,-soname,$@ ...

>  9. Will smbd, nmdb, etc. be linked against your shared library?
>     If so, HP-UX and other platforms hardcode -L paths into the
>     binary. Libtool first installs the shared library and then
>     relinks the executables at install time so the correct
>     runtime path is inserted into the binary. Will you do this?
>     Or support the +b option on HP-UX ld (if you do, the binaries
>     will work after being installed but *not* before).

No, smbd and nmbd do not currently use this library. Rather, they use a
lower level abstraction that already exists, which I also use.

>Libtool will make your life easier.

Well, I have a copy of the Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool, but there are a
number of people who present cogent reasons for not using Libtool ...

>--
>albert chin (china at thewrittenword.com)

Regards
-------