How the heck can it work?

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jul 24 20:20:49 GMT 2000

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Ron Alexander wrote:

> What do you mean by It? Can you kindly be a little more specific as I see it
> the following are involved.
>
> 1. The inetd daemon. What perms, SUID etc should it have.

Hopefully it's doing the same as on Unix - i.e. just start up the swat
program as the user specified in /etc/inetd.conf.

> 2. The inetd.conf. It specifies root as one of the parameters. Why?

swat must start up as root when called by inetd. It then works out what
user is logging in, and becomes that user.

> 3. The swat program. If I make it SUID it works differently.

SUID to root, you mean? By "differently", does it work properly or not??

> 4. The perms on the smb.conf file.

Owned by the user/group you'll be running swat as for authorised use,
presumably.

> I know VOS is not Unix. Do you mind helping someone port samba to a new
> platform? (notwithstanding the non POSIX port of 1.9... by Erik)

The more the merrier, surely? :)

James