odd nmbd thing

Cole, Timothy D. timothy_d_cole at md.northgrum.com
Fri Apr 21 15:53:54 GMT 2000

Found this code in nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c today; it's been getting
triggered a lot recently.

  if(!bcast)
  {
    /* We should only get broadcast name registration packets here.
       Anyone trying to register unicast should be going to a WINS
       server. If the code gets here, then either we are not a wins
       server and they sent it anyway, or we are a WINS server and
       the request was malformed. Either way, log an error here.
       and send an error reply back.
     */
    DEBUG(0,("process_name_registration_request: unicast name registration
request \
received for name %s from IP %s on subnet %s. Error - should be sent to WINS
server\n",
          nmb_namestr(question), inet_ntoa(from_ip), subrec->subnet_name));

    send_name_registration_response(FMT_ERR, 0, p);
    return;
  }

I know the server I'm seeing these errors on isn't a WINS server, so it must
be the former case (someone's trying to register unicast with it, when it
shouldn't).  The question is, under what circumstances will that occur (at
least that we know about), and why?