Will this list continue?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Thu Apr 2 18:35:57 GMT 1998

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Workstation Maintenance wrote:

> Hello,
> I am extremely interested in the free software concept.  I run a Assistive
> Technology (speech output as well as input, large print, etc) computer lab
> for students with disabilities at Florida Atlantic University, and we're
> running a Linux server with samba.  I am always making sure that when I am
> gone who ever replaces me will be able to function ok, and I'm getting the
> word that I should probably shut down our server totally, or run an NT
> server because no one will be able to run Unix.  Maybe being able to
> control a samba PDC from an NT machine (i.e. as close to an NT PDC as
> possible including the user management and group management) will help
> bridge the gap, and I'm looking forward to testing the code.  I am very
> "distressed" at the fact that they'd rather have no server at all, or spend
> money on Microsoft when they don't have to, but I can see their point also.
>  .  How hard could it be to find a Unix-minded person here - Not that
> hard.  The position is not a standing position (would close if I left)
> however and does not pay that well, which is where the real problem comes
> in.  Sorry for rambling so much folks.

ivan, no problem.

yes i intend to add code to do read-only admin of a samba PDC from "user
manager for domains".  then to do read-write admin, which _may_ require
some input from microsoft, or failing that, some reverse engineering
(following the EC directives on reverse engineering to the letter).

so, you can let your happy people know that it will be possible to
administer UNIX machines either through "User Manager for Domains" or via
an HTML interface (swat), at some point in the future.

luke