unix passwd sync and nis

Philipp Grau phgrau at mail.wi-bw.tfh-wildau.de
Thu Apr 2 08:31:06 GMT 1998

Hello samba-dancers,

I have a bit trouble with the new passwd sync feature:
Our samba server (main branch) is not our YP/NIS server.
So I tried to set the password with smbpasswd on the samba
server (entrypted passwords) and on the NIS server.
I used the following settings and got the according error
messages (the only change is the "%u" ins the passwd program line):

1)
smb.conf:

 unix password sync = yes
 passwd program = /usr/bin/yppasswd %U
 passwd chat = *\n*old*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n \
                *new*password* %n\n *changed*

log.suumi:
----------------------
Dochild for user phgrau (uid=0,gid=0)
chatbuf=[*
*old*password*] responsebuf=[Changing NIS account information for phgrau on
tampere.
Please enter root password:]
response 1 incorrect
Child failed to change password: phgrau
end of file from client
----------------------

Since I do the smbpasswd call as user "phgrau" why wants "yppasswd" the root
password?? Yes, I see the uid=0,gid=0 thing! I think it would be better
if the "Dochild" was done with the uid and gid of phgrau or???

2)

smb.conf:

 unix password sync = yes
 passwd program = /usr/bin/yppasswd
 passwd chat = *\n*old*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n \
               *new*password* %n\n *changed*

log.suumi
----------------------
Dochild for user phgrau (uid=0,gid=0)
chatbuf=[*
*old*password*] responsebuf=[Unknown error
yppasswd: unknown user (uid=0).
]
response 1 incorrect
Child failed to change password: phgrau
end of file from client

Here again the call of "Dochild" with uid,gid=0 is that ok?
Am I wrong with something??

Any hints??

\bye
Philipp Grau