rsync in conjunction with the --link-dest option does not output deleted files

Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Tue Jan 8 05:40:04 MST 2013

On 08.01.2013 12:53, Maik Meier wrote:

> But I thought rsync tells me all modifications from "source" to
> "backup_new". I just want to write this information into a log-file. I
> know that the file, that is deleted in "source" is not deleted
> physically after rsyncing, because it still exists in backup_old. But
> the interesting information to me would be: what has changed from
> "source" to "backup_new"? It seems that rsync does not output this
> information. Is the only solution to write a own script which compares
> "source" and "backup_old" to determine the deleted files before
> rsyncing? I am wondering about this.

The alternativ (if possible) is to doing the link separatly and then
rsync, instead of letting rsync doing the linking.

cp -al <last_backup> <new_backup>
and then rsync with <new_backup> as target

The end-result is identical, if the number of files is large, this can
take longer as you have to walk the tree twice instead of only once.
If the number of files is small enough to fit into the cache, there
shouldn't not be a significat change in total runtime.

--

Matthias