--compare-dest apparently incompatible with --checksum or --size-only

Jesse Molina jesse at opendreams.net
Sat Dec 24 21:38:24 MST 2011

Thanks for your reply.

Just to be clear, when I said "delta-copy", I did not mean rsync's
per-file delta to speed up remote transfers.  I meant that I am
basically making an incremental backup of the directories in question.

I have a base-install dir (fresh set of files), a modified-install dir
(some files modified, some deleted, some added), and the output, which
should only include files changed or added in modified-install compared
with base-install.

My use of -a is out of habit.  Thanks for the tip.  I will look into
it's use in more detail.  However, what you are describing is basically
what --copy-dest does, instead of --compare-dest.  My opinion is that
the behavior which --compare-dest implies as desirable to the user would
logically override and negate anything which would cause the same file
to appear in the "delta-backup" output dir which was in the "original"
dir below.

I suspect there is some tool out there which does exactly what I am
trying to do, of which I am currently ignorant of, but I may have to end
up writing a script which will hash the files to figure out what to
copy, or use fdupes after a full copy to eliminate the copies produced.

--
# Jesse Molina
# Mail = jesse at opendreams.net
# Page = page-jesse at opendreams.net