Static server side listing

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Wed Dec 21 22:26:19 MST 2011

afaik, there is nothing in rsync that can do what you are asking for.
 I don't know of anything outside of rsync that can do it either but
then I don't know everything.

My initial thought is to provide a tarball and/or a snapshot from some
change management system.

On 12/22/11 00:22, Mark Constable wrote:

>>> Thanks. That sounds like a way to manage the archived files but
>>> I don't understand how that would eliminate the dynamic
>>> generation of listings that rsyncd provides to clients?
>>
>> It would provide a static copy.
>
> Sure, of the archived files themselves. An alternate file tree
> would do the same thing and give me more flexibility to prepare the
> alt tree that is about to be swapped in at the next 24 hour swap
> over point.
>
>> The rest would be up to the OS to cache in RAM.
>
> My 20k files situation could grow to 100k files so something has
> to index them all dynamically 100/sec. Even if the directory
> indexes are cached in ram that is still a lot of load on the cpus
> just to do something that could be done once with the results
> provided as a simple single static file, if it were possible.
>
> I guess my question is now, what would it take to redirect what
> rsyncd would normally send back to a client, as a listing, to a
> local server file and then tell rsyncd to use that single pre
> prepared file for future listing requests from clients?

- --
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853
	Systems Administrator		Internet:
	FutureQuest, Inc.		Kevin at FutureQuest.net  (work)
	Orlando, Florida		kmk at sanitarium.net (personal)
	Web page:			http://www.sanitarium.net/
	PGP public key available on web site.