rsync on mounted windows partitions: I/O errors

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunky.net
Wed Aug 25 14:07:42 MDT 2010

On 08/25/2010 02:38 PM, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 02:07:29PM +0200, Leen Besselink wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 01:02:29PM +0200, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My backup script fails to --delete because it gets some I/O errors from
>>> mounted live windows partitions with (locked?) files.
>>>
>>> Is there a workaround for that problem, short of --ignore-errors which
>>> would be last-resort?
>>>

>> It's kind of strange, but you could use NFS.
>>
>> Install the components for windows for use as a NFS-server.
>>
>> You will have no problems with locked files.
>>
>> Running a rsync-daemon on the machine is also an option, possible you would
>> need some kind of VSS-solution.
>>
> Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, only "server" versions of windows support NFS as a
> server?

Yes, you are probably right.

> The VSS solution looks interesting too
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy). Could I mount (still with
> smbfs as I do now) a VSS shadow copy instead of the actual file system?
> Or does VSS require the backup to happen on the windows machine itself?

I think there is no way, atleast Linux tooling, to use SMB for VSS,
not sure if there is a windows API for it. I don't think so.

So yes, you would need to do it on the server.

You would run an rsync-daemon on the windows-machine:

http://www.itefix.no/i2/node/10650

Many months ago I tried to create an integrated system for Windows:

http://www.consolejunky.net/cwrsync-vss/versions/beta3/

But to be able to use it on 64-bit Windows I need to compile it as a
64-bit Windows program, which I didn't find a good way to do that
at the time.

It has come to my attention that Bacula has it working, so maybe I
should take a look at it again.