rsync on mounted windows partitions: I/O errors

Louis-David Mitterrand vindex+lists-rsync at apartia.org
Wed Aug 25 06:38:17 MDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 02:07:29PM +0200, Leen Besselink wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 01:02:29PM +0200, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My backup script fails to --delete because it gets some I/O errors from
> > mounted live windows partitions with (locked?) files.
> >
> > Is there a workaround for that problem, short of --ignore-errors which
> > would be last-resort?
> >

> It's kind of strange, but you could use NFS.
>
> Install the components for windows for use as a NFS-server.
>
> You will have no problems with locked files.
>
> Running a rsync-daemon on the machine is also an option, possible you would
> need some kind of VSS-solution.

Thanks for your suggestion.

If I'm not mistaken, only "server" versions of windows support NFS as a
server?

The VSS solution looks interesting too
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy). Could I mount (still with
smbfs as I do now) a VSS shadow copy instead of the actual file system?
Or does VSS require the backup to happen on the windows machine itself?