xattrs on symlinks

Wesley W. Terpstra terpstra at dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Oct 17 00:25:15 GMT 2007

As we all know, only osx supports xattrs on symlinks. Unfortunately,
not only does osx support xattrs on symlinks, *every* symlink has, at
the least, com.apple.FinderInfo. When backing up to a linux system,
this results in one error message per symlink:
rsync: rsync_xal_set: lsetxattr("User Guides And
Information","user.com.apple.FinderInfo") failed: Operation not
permitted (1)
rsync: rsync_xal_set: lsetxattr("User Guides And
Information","user.com.apple.crtime96") failed: Operation not
permitted (1)
rsync: rsync_xal_set: lsetxattr("etc","user.com.apple.FinderInfo")
failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: rsync_xal_set: lsetxattr("etc","user.com.apple.crtime96")
failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: rsync_xal_set: lsetxattr("mach","user.com.apple.FinderInfo")
failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: rsync_xal_set: lsetxattr("mach","user.com.apple.crtime96")
failed: Operation not permitted (1)

Although I usually advocate keeping meta-data, in this case I think
it would be better to just drop it. Copying them from osx to osx is
ok, though. An unfortunate consequence of this is that meta-data for
symlink ownership is lost when using fake super on linux, but that
was already the case.

Patch to ignore extended attributes on symlinks for non-osx platforms
attached.