Verbose but only problem files

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 01:52:33 GMT 2007

On 2/22/07, Dave Markham <dave.markham at fjserv.net> wrote:
> I would like in the log i use for rsync to only output files it has
> trouble getting. e.g if permission is denied or file changed during read
> something like that.

You could leave out the -v option, because rsync outputs an error
message for files it has trouble getting regardless of -v.

Note that rsync does not consider it an error for a file to change
while it is reading: it gives you the data it saw as it read through
from beginning to end.  Thus, it is possible to get a destination file
that is not identical to any instantaneous state of the source file.
Most of the time, this problem fixes itself because writing to the
source file will have changed its mtime and the next run of rsync will
consider the corrupted destination file out of date and retransfer the
complete new version of the file.

Matt