FTP at rsync.samba.org down?

Michael Schmidt mschmidt at Fh-Koblenz.de
Mon Nov 25 11:29:01 EST 2002

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 05:05:21AM -0600, wolfe-mcse at ev1.net wrote:
[...]
> I downloaded the files, but I know I did not use an FTP client.  I seem to
> recall using only my web browser, but the location was someplace other than
> samba.org.
>
> I do show that the DNS address for rsync.samba.org, 66.70.73.150, does have
> FTP access.  The FTP list using IP alone goes up to 66.70.73.179.  Just try
> ftp.samba.org for access.

Hi,

trying ftp.samba.org instead of rsync.samba.org shows within ftp that
it's routed/redirected to the same host/machine dp.samba.org or as you
mention 66.70.73.150. FTP responds with a "421 Service not available,
remote server has closed connection".

When ftp'ing directly to 66.70.73.179 then that machine offers anonymous
access but after having entered anonymous password then it cuts off
the login, crazy...

Have a nice day
Michael

Michael  Schmidt                 mschmidt at fh-koblenz.de
                    MIRROR OF
Ghostscript  *  X-Windows X11  *  DJGPP  *  and more...