[patch] suggestions for -v option

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Tue May 21 11:26:03 EST 2002

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 12:24:42PM +0200, Dick Streefland wrote:
> On Thursday 2002-05-16 15:55, Dave Dykstra wrote:
> | I'm afraid we've got too much history behind the current way to change
> | that now.  Undoubtedly there's lots of scripts around that expect the
> | current behavior.  The --log-format option is intended for situations
> | like yours.  Try "--log-format %f".  If the log-format option isn't
> | flexible enough for what you want, a patch to it is much more likely
> | to be accepted, especially if it is upward compatible.
>
> I overlooked the --log-format option. I tried it, and it comes close
> to what I want, but it doesn't report directory updates, file
> deletions and hard links.  While I don't care very much about
> directory time updates, deleted files and hard links are important.
> I'm not sure whether the log_send() and log_recv() interfaces are
> suitable to log these actions.

They probably aren't, but I think the general user interface for
--log-format is sufficient and that the internal functions could be
modified to do what people need.

> To ensure backward compatibility, a new option to suppress the
> unwanted messages could be added, e.g. --no-stats. The attached patch
> implements this. For completeness, I've attached a separate patch
> for the second proposed change.

I really don't see a need for that.  The stats are always two lines at the
end so if people are writing a filter anyway they can just skip the last two
lines.  I think that trying to parse the precise output of the --verbose
option is so much of a hack already that it wouldn't hurt people to do one
more hack.

- Dave Dykstra