[clug] Vale Bram Moolenaar, 'vim' author

Alastair D'Silva alastair at d-silva.org
Mon Aug 7 00:41:08 UTC 2023

On Mon, 2023-08-07 at 08:40 +1000, Paul Wayper via linux wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 6, 2023, at 4:33 PM, Mike Carden via linux wrote:
> > It was indeed a shock to wake this morning to the news that Bram
> > Moolenaar
> > had died, and at an age that as old as I am, I now consider
> > ‘young’.
> >
> > He was certainly a person whose individual efforts have had a very
> > wide
> > reaching effect. I suspect that many people know his name without
> > realising
> > that they do, just because of the number of times they’ve seen it
> > when
> > starting up vim.
> To be funny, hope he got to do his final :q!
>
> To be serious, I'm with Mike here - I decided on Vim in the text
> editor wars because it was everywhere.  I've seen Rusty and Tridge
> working in Emacs like absolute masters of the craft, but I've also
> seen people at the same level in Vim and I really think it's more
> just a 'what works for you' thing rather than an empiric 'one is
> right and one is wrong' thing.  The main thing is - whatever editor
> you use, learn its advanced features.  Moving blocks of text,
> automating your work, following source code; make sure you can do
> whatever you do as fast and as easily as possible.  Every editor -
> with the possible exception of butterflies - has these capabilities.

Unpopular opinion: I was firmly in the emacs camp, but moved about a
decade ago to Eclipse. These days for me, it's a mix of Eclipse & VS
Code, and vim for quick edits.

The fact that a few people in our tiny community have piped up, shows
that if you share your work, no matter how how insignificant it may
seem at the time, you can leave a positive legacy that is far reaching.

Thankyou Bram for sharing your time and your work, it has made the
world a brighter place :wq!

--
Alastair D'Silva
mob: 0423 762 819