[clug] Vale Bram Moolenaar, 'vim' author

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Sun Aug 6 22:40:18 UTC 2023

On Sun, Aug 6, 2023, at 4:33 PM, Mike Carden via linux wrote:
> It was indeed a shock to wake this morning to the news that Bram Moolenaar
> had died, and at an age that as old as I am, I now consider ‘young’.
>
> He was certainly a person whose individual efforts have had a very wide
> reaching effect. I suspect that many people know his name without realising
> that they do, just because of the number of times they’ve seen it when
> starting up vim.
To be funny, hope he got to do his final :q!

To be serious, I'm with Mike here - I decided on Vim in the text editor wars because it was everywhere.  I've seen Rusty and Tridge working in Emacs like absolute masters of the craft, but I've also seen people at the same level in Vim and I really think it's more just a 'what works for you' thing rather than an empiric 'one is right and one is wrong' thing.  The main thing is - whatever editor you use, learn its advanced features.  Moving blocks of text, automating your work, following source code; make sure you can do whatever you do as fast and as easily as possible.  Every editor - with the possible exception of butterflies - has these capabilities.

Have fun,

Paul