[clug] Suggestions for hosting a large low-usage database [2]

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Sun Sep 6 04:50:43 UTC 2020

Paul,

IsSuggested BackBlaze previously as benchmark for pricing, but its S3 interface may not suit.
<https://lists.samba.org/archive/linux/2020-September/038160.html>

Andrew Savchenko sent me this suggestion:

> Might be worth checking the <https://wasabi.com/cloud-storage-pricing/>
> Flat pricing for storage, no in/egress charges.

You could look at Macstadium - they support attached USB drives, cheaply, which your “light use” case suggests you need.

$79/mth + $10 - $30/mth for external USB drive [1TB - 4TB]
<https://www.macstadium.com/configure?p=minii58250&c=VGS2>

Storage options and ‘Free’ access to Open Source Devs - if your project qualifies, it might be a goer.
<https://blog.macstadium.com/blog/macstadiums-5-diverse-storage-options>

<https://www.macstadium.com/opensource>

At the end I’ve included a message to friend about some other Mac Colocation services.
I didn’t look for USB storage options for him.

cheers
steve

> On 4 Sep 2020, at 14:02, Paul Leopardi via linux <linux at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> Hello CLUG,
> A few years ago I had a Nectar cloud account that I used to host a web
> dashboard connected to a 200GB PostgreSQL database. The dashboard was
> intended to very infrequently handle a very small number of users, usually
> just one.
>
> Now that I am professional staff at ANU, I am unlikely to succeed in
> getting a project up on Nectar. One other option is Amazon ec2.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find help to correctly size the ec2
> instances that I would need for a low usage dashboard combined with a 200GB
> database? Also, what if I scaled the database size up to 6TB, still with a
> very infrequent, very small number of users? Would I need a different
> instance type?
> All the best, Paul
> --

While MacOS is kinda Unix, it’s not. It’d cost you 12-months of productivity to migrate your work environment.
You might get to 80% efficiency in a month, but… Some things you’ll never be able to automate :(
“Think Different” is a promise & policy, not spin.

I’d suggest that Mac Hosting, especially a ‘managed’ solution might do what you need.
I presume you can manage the Intel Fortran licensing.

Here’s a random selection of Mac hosting plans. Not checked them out, don’t know anyone doing it.

-> This lot look expensive
<https://virtualmacosx.com/index.php/dedicated-plans>

	Fractional Dedicated Server
	4 GB/2 CPU
	$59.75 month
	• Cancel Anytime

<https://www.macincloud.com/pages/managed.html>
	Managed Server Plans provide you Managed Mac Server User Accounts.
	Managed Server plans are best for users who wish to quickly start development and tasks
	with our readily available Tools and Applications.
	Our Tech Support Team carries out advanced administrator tasks for you upon request.
	 If you wish to self-manage the server and obtain root/admin access,
	please review and select from our Dedicated Server Plans.
	Here are the specifications:

	Advanced(NEW) Mac Mini 2018 with 6-core i7 CPU & 16GB/32GB RAM,
	macOS 10.14
	$40/month

These are the original Mac hosting guys from memory - but more expensive.

<https://www.macstadium.com/configure?p=minii58250&c=VGS2>
	$99/mo.
	Mac mini i7	16/250GB SSD
	2.3GHz i7-3615, Quad Core CPU, 16GB 1600MHz RAM (DDR3), 250GB SSD

These guys are overpriced…

<https://www.macminivault.com/dedicated-sign-up/>
	$90/mth
	• 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7, 16GB DDR3 Memory, 2 x 1 TB SATA Hard Drive
	• 2012 Mac mini Model

cheers
steve

--