[clug] HP DL380 unrecognisable disks

David Schoen dave at lyte.id.au
Fri Aug 20 15:08:26 MDT 2010

On 21 August 2010 00:04, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
> David Schoen <dave at lyte.id.au> writes:
>> Try "modprobe cciss" once you're booted into the live cd. My install of
>> Ubuntu shows that module available but not loading by default.
>
> ....interesting.  Generally, udev would load the CCISS driver automatically if
> it found supported hardware.
[...]
> Oh!  Wait!  David, your LiveCD: was it booted on a machine with a cciss card?
> If not then naturally the driver wasn't loaded. :)

I should, but haven't learnt how udev and automatic driver loading
works at some point. My Ubuntu machine didn't have a cciss card, I
pretty much only run RHEL/CentOS on servers and Ubuntu on my
Laptop/Desktop. I can't say I was confident in my recomendation
working, just confident that it wouldn't make it worse and may provide
more insight.

Cheers,
Dave