[clug] HP DL380 unrecognisable disks

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Aug 20 08:04:02 MDT 2010

David Schoen <dave at lyte.id.au> writes:
> On 20 August 2010 18:47, David Schoen <dave at lyte.id.au> wrote:

[...]

> Try "modprobe cciss" once you're booted into the live cd. My install of
> Ubuntu shows that module available but not loading by default.

....interesting.  Generally, udev would load the CCISS driver automatically if
it found supported hardware.

While it is nominally Debian specific, I find this very useful:
http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

If you provide it the lspci output on the hardware it will tell you what
drivers, and which kernel version, are required to support it.

        Daniel

Oh!  Wait!  David, your LiveCD: was it booted on a machine with a cciss card?
If not then naturally the driver wasn't loaded. :)