[clug] Re: linux Digest, Vol 73, Issue 9

Adam Jenkins adamjenkins23 at aim.com
Tue Jan 6 03:20:24 GMT 2009

Rodney Peters wrote:

>Step one is probably to add "3" to the end of your kernel boot line in
GRUB,

Yep that's a real good idea.  Then, if you're lucky, you might have a
useful backup of xorg.conf in /etc/X11 you could use.
Otherwise, I think if you delete (or rename; the safer option!)
/etc/X11/xorg.conf, X will generate a new one for you.
There are commands like xf86config xvidtune etc which will prompt you
as they guess what settings you need.
You can also do  X 2> /tmp/foo  to capture what error messages X spits
back in response to your conf file, to help debug it.
I know this is pretty basic stuff, but sometimes it's good to just get
X working in some basic form, so your box isn't totally useless :-)