[clug] Trump Telstra once and for all

Ben shadroth at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 00:01:42 GMT 2006

On 10/9/06, Basil Chupin <blchupin at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> Ben wrote:
> > When it comes to trust, the problems I have with TPG are:
> > * They've off-shored part of their tech support.
> > * They have lock in contracts, and have put prices up in the past.
>
> Hardly reasons for "but I don't trust them" statement, surely.

I don't trust them to provide a reliable, well supported net connection.

> TPG wouldn't be the only ones who have gone offshore for their tech support.

No, but that hardly makes it any better. I'd have no problem with
offshore tech support, if the people on the end of the phone actually
had a vague idea of what they were talking about.

> And TPG have actually dropped prices in the past, and as far as "lock in
> contracts", Internode also has a "lock in contract" if you care to look
> closely at their plans.

No, they don't. They have a $65 early termination fee, if you
disconnect within 6 months, which is a fee passed on from Telstra.
TPG, like other providers with lock in contracts, will force you to
pay out the remainder of your contract if you disconnect before the
contract is up. With Internode you don't commit to any time frame
(longer than a month) when you signup, and you renew your commitment
one month at a time.

> Frankly I was expecting some eye-opening revelations about TPG which
> earned them your distrust but it turns out to be a simple case of
> (?misplaced) prejudice on your part :-) .

As you wish.

Ben