[clug] Intel 82801 SATA RAID controller opinions?

paul at pabryan.mine.nu paul at pabryan.mine.nu
Tue Mar 1 02:08:06 GMT 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 12:01:55PM +1100, Stephen Granger wrote:

<snip>

> it's only for play.
> I think (from memory) that only one SATA RAID card works under linux, I
> don't remember which one, could be yours ! :). It also suggested that
> linux software raid is greatly advanced and gives excellect/comparable
> performance.

I have both an Intel SRCS14L and a 3Ware 9500 controller working under
Debian. I had to build the 3ware kernel module from the source
provided by 3Ware, but that was completely painless once I realised
that the kernel headers don't include the required SCSI headers that
you can find in the full kernel source.

I think the Intel only required the utilities to be installed. The
kernel module was part of the Debian Testing kernel. I'm not positive
though - someone else set it up originally.

> Steve
>
> Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:
> >So,
> >
> >Does anybody have an opinion on the Intel 82801ER (ICH5R) SATA RAID
> >controller?
> >
> >>From what I can see, it involves patching kernel source and you get a
> >>software
> >RAID controller that doesn't appear to be much different to using md.

I believe the above controllers I mentioned are both true hardware
controllers. My memory is a little sketchy again though.

Both controllers seem to do a reasonable job, though a rebuild has to be
kicked off manually. i.e. just swapping in a replacement for a failed
drive doesn't initiate a rebuild like those fancy Compaq^H^H^H^H^H^H
HP Proliant's. It's only a matter of entering the rebuild command
though, and off it goes in the background.

> >Viz, is there any advantage in using this instead of software RAID?
> >
> >Antti

Doesn't seem that way does it?

Cheers,
Paul.