Managing Expectations (was Re: Debian 3.0 CDRs)

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Fri Aug 9 12:00:43 EST 2002

Alfred wrote:

>I got it working after a couple hours, but I felt frustated by taking so
>long to do something that was automatic with all my previous
>distributions (i.e getting a current windowing system).

I would not want to make the Debian install process slick if it came
the the expense of flexibility. I like it that I get the same installer
across the 9600 baud serial link to my Sun box that, that I get to my
desktop, that I get across ssh here at work, that I get down to a box
located in Melbourne.

I would not recommend the use of *any* new tool in an urgent situation
unless satisfactory fallback support was available.

>Its first impressions that are important, and Debian let me down in that
>department. Perhaps some of the Debian team can take this to heart :)

Well vi would have to be pretty bad then, with its beeping or non-beeping mode.

Antti