[jcifs] NtmlHTTPAuthentication Filter

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Feb 9 23:29:55 GMT 2005

Martin Marinschek said:
> OK, I finally found the reason (after repeatedly checking back with
> the windows 2000 group in our company):
>
> the "use http1.1" checkbox was not selected on the citrix-servers...
>
> *bang my head on the door*
>
> is it necessary to use http 1.1 for the NTLM authentication to work?

Shouldn't be. But NTLM HTTP Authentication is very fickle about how
sessions are managed. When coupled with the different components that
touch the HTTP requests the only practical way to debug these problems is
to know the protocol and take packet captures.

BTW using insecure Basic authentication for passing NTLM credentials is a
HUGE security hole. You must turn on SSL. Otherwise anyone with a packet
sniffer can easily grab other peoples passwords.