AW: [jcifs] Jcifs in Native mode vs Mixed Mode

Finkenzeller, Stefan Stefan.Finkenzeller at bayernlb.de
Wed Feb 9 12:16:26 GMT 2005

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 09:56:18 +0100
<madlg3 at vodafone.es> wrote:

> [..]
> It might be the case that when we have a network based on W2k native
> mode, only kerberos authentication is allowed, no NTLM support is
> offered, this could mean a problem to jcifs, couldn´t it?

No and yes. jcifs needs NTLM and W2k native mode can have NTLM too. It's not
correct that NTLM or NetBIOS is automatic disabled when you switch your W2k
domain in native mode.

NTLM depends on NetBIOS and not on native mode. You can disable NTLM in the
"Advanced TCP/IP" Settings (Tab "WINS", NetBIOS setting) on each server.
jcifs will be work if "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" or "Default" is selected.

> Has anyone tested jcifs under native mode?

Yes, we use jcifs in a W2k Domain (native mode) to edit files on Win2003
server (with dfs). And it works great.

> does jcifs have support for kerberos authentication?

No.

Regards,
Stefan